Honey is a sweet indulgence taken by humans from the honeycomb of bees. Basically bees take the nectar from flowers and we take the honeycomb from bees. Typically a tablespoon of honey is pretty wholesome with 64 calories and 17 gms of carbohydrates with negligible to zero amount of fat, protein and fibre.
It has plenty of micro-nutrients including potassium, iron, and zinc. Along with this few categories of high quality honey are also rich in antioxidants which support better health. Being rich in a lot of compounds with plethora of health benefits, honey is a good replacement of sugar and is therefore used in cooking a lot of items as well.
Benefits of Honey:
Here is a list to sum up all the amazing health benefits of Honey:
- When Honey is applied to any burn or injury of any sort, the compounds present in it can initiate the healing process.
- Honey benefits for skin with its antibacterial properties, as in some Ayurvedic practices honey is applied directly over the skin in order to heal the wound.
- In children above the age 2, a spoon of honey before bedtime can cure cough and cold. Sometimes it can work better than the medicines prescribed by the doctors. In adults, adding water to honey seems to reduce the frequency of coughing.
- Honey is believed to decrease the level of bad cholesterol while increasing the good cholesterol, thereby improving the heart health.
- Various studies have shown that regular intake of honey controls blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides.
- It can also relieve the pain of menstrual cramps.
- Since honey is a pretty wholesome food, it can also help in increasing body mass.
- People who suffer from Rosacea (redness of skin) can derive benefit by regular application of topical honey on their skin.
- Regular application of honey on mouth sores can heal them. It is also very beneficial in curing mouth ulcers.
- It has been proven very helpful in dealing with the asthmatic patients.
Side effects of Honey:
Some people are sensitive to bee pollen found in honey. Therefore, the honey extracted from the honey farming can cause allergies in certain people. Apart from that, it has few other side effects as well. They are listed below:
- It can cause Dizziness, Nausea and Vomiting.
- Honey is a form of sugar, and high sugar diets are believed to be linked to liver issues, certain inflammations, cardiovascular disorders, depression and insulin related issues.
- Weakness and Fainting.
- Excessive perspiration.
- It can lead to arrhythmias (Irregular heart rhythms).
Considering the risks and the benefits associated with the consumption of honey we can conclude that for a disease free person its balanced intake can be very beneficial to enhance an individual’s overall health. While in case of having any prior disease we should consume it normally only after the consultation of one’s doctor.