Guru Gobind Singh ji was the tenth Sikh guru, one of the great warrior, philosopher, and a spiritual master. There is not proper information about his date of birth, but according to the Nanakshahi calendar his birth date falls in between either December or January. He was the son of Guru Tegh Bahadur and was born in Patna, Bihar, India.
Table of Content [hide]
Guru Gobind Singh biography
His father Guru Tegh Bahadur gave up his life protecting religious freedom. Following his father’s footsteps at a very young age of nine years, Guru Gobind became the tenth and the final Sikh guru. He continued his education even after he became the tenth guru, which includes warrior skills (i.e. martial arts, horse riding, and archery).
In 1684, he wrote the Chandi di var in Punjabi language (a book about war between good and evil). Guru Gobind Singh ji had three wives, Mata Jito whom he married at the age of 10 on 21 June 1677, married to Mata Sundari at the age of 17 on 4 April 1684 and at the age of 33 he married to Mata Sahib Devan on 15 April 1700.
Guru Gobind Singh ji founded the Khalsa on March 30, 1699 it is used to denote the body of initiated Sikhs and the community of all Sikhs. In khalsa the name of every follower ends with the surname Singh, which means Lion. The five k’ s of khalsa include Kesh(hair must be uncut), kara(to be worn for self restraint), kangha(wooden comb that symbolizes cleanliness), kacchera (knee-length shorts that a Sikh must wear for showing readiness to go on battle) and kirpan (sword for defense) .
Guru Gobind called himself ‘slave’ or servant of God; he was a man of great intellectual thoughts. He declared the Guru Granth Saheb, the Holy Scripture as the permanent guru of Sikhism. He devoted his whole life protecting his people and country and lost his 4 children while fighting battle. He always uses to think of humankind and used to give teachings that can change an individual.
Some of his beautiful and meaningful lessons that he gave are:
- Do not be rash in striking your sword on helpless; otherwise, the providence will shed your blood.
- I tell the truth; listen everyone. Only those who have loved will realize the lord.
- Take the broom of divine knowledge into hands and sweep away the filth of ignorance.
- God has no marks, no colour, no caste, no ancestors, no form, no complexion, no costume and is indescribable.
- Some are Hindus and other are Muslims; someone is lliifazi and another Imam-Shafi but ye recognize all human race as one.
- When dealing with enemies, practice diplomacy, employ a variety of tactics, and exhaust all techniques before engaging in warfare.
- Do not ruin anyone’s work by gossiping.
- Do not subject your wife to cursing, or verbal abuse.
- Work hard and don’t be lazy.