A fresh herb, mint is used as an ingredient in a lot of Indian dishes. It is used to flavour curd and garnish curries. Considering mint health benefits, a lot of beverages such as tea and alcoholic drinks, sauces, salads and desserts are made using mint. It not just makes food delicious and refreshing by enhancing the flavour and smell but also provides a lot of health benefits.
Health benefits of mint:
- A nutritious herb: Even though it is not consumed in large amounts, mint contains a good amount of nutrients and is a great source of vitamin A and antioxidants.
- Relieves Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Be it stomach pain, gas, bloating or changes in bowel habits all these are symptoms of irritable Bowel Syndrome. Luckily, adding mint to your diet can relieve IBS.
- Stops Indigestion: Indigestion occurs when food stays in the stomach for a long time. Studies have shown that mint can speed up the movement of food through the stomach. This is quite significant in relieving indigestion.
- Improves the functioning of brain: Not only is its consumption in food but mint’s aroma is also considered very beneficial for the health. It is believed that inhaling the aroma of Mint can improve the functioning of the brain. Inhaling the aroma of its oil can enhance alertness, decrease stress and enhances the concentration ability of the mind.
- Helpful in decreasing breastfeeding pain: Sore and cracked nipple areas of women during breastfeeding leads to a lot of pain. Many tests have shown that applying mint to the area reduces soreness and cracks, thereby reducing breastfeeding pain.
- Covers Bad Breath: Mint has a very soothing and cool aroma. In fact this aroma is used to flavour many mouth fresheners. Chewing mint as it is can also overcome the bad breath.
- Home remedy to cure cold: Since inhaling mint can significantly improve the nasal breathing, thus its oil is bound to reduce the symptoms of cold when used appropriately.
Side effects of eating Mint:
Mint as such has no harms, but inappropriate consumption of peppermint oil can cause a lot of uneasiness such as:
- Rashes within the mouth.
- Inflammation of Kidneys.
- Mouth ulcers.
- Allergies and
- Irritability of skin etc.