Marking the occasion of enactment of the constitution in a free nation, India is celebrating its 73rd India Republic day today. The republic day celebration will be witnessing the annual parade starting from the Rajpath, Delhi till the India Gate by the Indian Army, Indian Navy and the Indian Air Force.
The ceremonious event of the Indian republic day will also be showcasing the country’s social and cultural heritages through the sponsored tableaus taking part in the parade.
Why republic day is celebrated ?
January 26, was the same day in 1950 when the Indian government replaced the Government of India Act (1935) with the Constitution of India under the chairman-ship of Bharat Ratna Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar.
Since the independence from the britishers after their slavery of 200 years. India has come so far to pitch as a world leader in so many domains around the world. Adding feathers to its cap the country is proud of its several achievements throughout the years since independence.
One of its major achievements is the Indian constitution through which the country runs. Being the longest handwritten document in the world, it inherits the passion of a nation to deliver its citizens the best possible guidelines to be followed under law.
Few key facts on the Indian constitution
- After the independence of the country on August 15, 1947, a drafting committee of the Constituent Assembly was formed on August 29. The drafting committee had seven members who were made responsible to draft a constitution. These members were Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar (Chairman), N. Gopal Swami Iyengar, Alladi Krishna Swami Aiyar, Dr. KM Munshi, Syed Mohammad Sadullah, N. Madhav Rao, and TT Krishnamachari. Apart from these, the Constituent Assembly appointed BN Rao as the Constitutional Advisor.
- It took 2 years, 11 months, 17 days to make the constitution. The Indian Constitution was signed by 284 members of the Constituent Assembly. There were 15 women among them. During this period, the draft of the constitution was introduced several times and discussed.
- The Preamble of our Constitution speaks about the purpose of the Constitution. Whenever the judge has difficulty in deciding between different streams, this preamble shows the right path. Inspired by the US Constitution, it begins with ‘We the People’. The idea of freedom, equality and fraternity in our preamble were derived from the French constitution.
- The first draft of the constitution was published in February 1948 by the drafting committee. After undergoing eight months of rigorous process of public comment, criticism and suggestions, the committee prepared the second draft in October 1948.
- Dr. BR Ambedkar presented the final draft of the Constitution on November 4, 1948 in the Constituent Assembly. Later on, with deeper discussions on the final draft, the Constitution of India was finally passed on 26 November 1949 and came into force on Jan 26, 1950. Thus the foundation of the Republic day of India was laid down to mark the historic event for the nation