India’s sincere effort to be a renewable energy major

India’s sincere effort to be a renewable energy major

Narendra-modi

India is a huge country, whose population count is around 138 crores. With such a large population the country needs to work on various aspects so that everything is made available to all the citizens of the country. In making the country progress, there are some key problems faced by a country. Such as,

  • The population.
  • The pollution.
  • and the threat that resources may become extinct.

End of resources!

How will we survive?

Yes, the questions like these do haunt us, but the problem is that we have made ourselves used to it. Each one of us just says one thing, “The resources may end in just a few years, the coming generations will have to face many problems or the worst is yet to come“.

Why wait for the worst?

The country with such a big population and with so many talented people can never turn out to be a loser.

Hence the country in striving to make its citizens live a life with all the facilities, while showing generosity towards the nature. India is now taking the step to make maximum use of its Renewable Energy potential.

The Indian government is making sincere efforts towards meeting country’s energy demand through renewable resources. In the global level an agreement was made by the countries to reduce the use of dirt energy or non renewable resources. India is one of those few countries that is to meet the 2 of the 3 commitments made at NDC. The target which the country is about to achieve is 40% of non-fossil fuel installed power capacity and 33-35% emissions reductions over 2005 till 2030.

The government is taking many steps to make the country renewable dependent. Under the leadership of Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, the country aims to achieve 175 GW of renewable by 2022. The aim will be achieved by making use of solar energy up-to 100GW, 60 GW of wind energy, 10 GW of biomass energy, and 5 GW of small hydro energy.

In that effort the Indian government has distributed approx 36 crore LED bulbs  to the households covering the pan-India during the last six years under UJALA scheme and has also installed nearly 1 crore LED bulb street lights. Resulting in saving of nearly 600 Billion units/year of electricity and also preventing around 4 crore tone of CO2 emission to the environment. At the moment India’s solar power capacity has reached 37,627 Mw from 2,632 Mw in 2013, which is nearly 14 times the earlier capacity.

In addition to the countries capacity, recently Prime minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Asia’s largest solar power plant with the capacity of 750 MW in Madhya Pradesh’s Rewa. This project will be conducting the inter-state sale of electricity. It contains three solar generating units of 250 Mw each. This project has received near to 138 crore central assistance. It is estimated that this project will reduce the carbon emission up-to 1.5 million tonnes annually. The 24% power generated will be supplied to delhi metro and the remaining 76% to DISCOMs of Madhya Pradesh.

Having all the sincere efforts paid off today India is generating the world’s cheapest solar electricity at the rate of Rs 2.36 per unit as compared to its rate of Rs 10.25-12.76 per unit during the 2011.

Thus having a brief look at India’s aggressive approach to be a renewable energy major in the world, we can definitely say that if the pace continues in the coming period India can surely achieve its several targets like independence from massive fuel imports, improving its carbon footprints, flourishing MSMEs and several other key objectives.

Share
Translate »